Friday, June 3, 2016

A Run

The following was written about the phases of the day and corresponding emotions during a 24-hour endurance run, where a relay team of 8 members covered 131 miles consecutively and through the day and night, to raise money for the American Cancer Society. It was emotional and difficult for everyone, and to this day remains one of the most physically and mentally challenging things I have ever done, in addition to most rewarding. I wrote about the details of the run here, and this is the website for this year's event. Please consider donating to the C2C Run. Your money goes directly to local cancer patients who cannot afford to drive to their own cancer treatment. I wrote this very shortly after the event, inspired by my teammates and friends and fellow volunteers. This run was an honor!





















A Run


Dusk

city limits
no peace

headlights kill the calming clatter
of the rain


Dark

Ohio backroads
twist and turn and tumble

leading me on
I blindly trot along

as the cornstalks whisper my name

the darkness is tempting
I could be invisible

my hair
cornsilk

my face open like a sunflower

legs
strong
stubborn
as roots of the oak tree

yes, I could return to the earth

but I blindly trot along

until day breaks
and I am safe in the sun’s arms


Dawn

I feel my insignificance
even the particles in the air present themselves
for the sunrise

clouds, jealous of the rising star,
try to hide its beauty

but the sun fights

the tension is burgundy


Day

have you ever the pleasure
of running with the river?

cheery waters watch
trees dance

the leaves applaud me
and the wind sends kisses

a mossy path welcomes my footfalls
kinder than the pavement of the backroads

the sun smiles in rays
waving across the water

praising me for believing in her

even when she was gone

No comments:

Post a Comment